Fitting in with yesterday’s post, these are a great option for post-workout nutrition, combining carbohydrates and protein in a portable, yummy snack. They also passed my all-important crumb test: Can I eat this while driving without making a mess of myself and the Mini? They passed.
In case you are wondering, coconut extract or coconut flavor can be found in most grocery stores in the baking aisle, right next to vanilla extract.
Coconut-Banana Protein Bars
- 6 egg whites
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract or coconut flavor
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1½ cups quick oats
- ½ cup Splenda granulated (or sweetener equal to 1/2 c sugar)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly oil a 9″ round cast iron skillet (or cake pan).
2. In a large bowl, mix together egg whites, mashed banana, coconut extract and oil.
3. In a second bowl, mix together oats, Splenda, baking powder, salt, and whey protein.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until uniform. Spread in prepared pan, top with coconut flakes and bake 14 minutes.
Cool and cut into 4 big wedges.
Per (large) serving: 246 calories, 7 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 30 g total carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 16 g protein