You may have never considered avocado a likely candidate for your breakfast, but once you try it with eggs, you’ll be hooked! Avocado lends a wonderful creamy texture that pairs wonderfully with eggs, and it contributes heart healthy monounsaturated fats. For anyone who avoids dairy products, cubed avocado makes a great substitute for cheese to add some creaminess to a cheese-free omelet! This one, however, contains both.
- Cooking oil spray
- 2 mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup egg whites (3 whites) or 1 egg plus 2 whites, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce Cabot 75% reduced fat cheddar cheese, grated or chopped
- ¼ avocado, cubed
- Place medium nonstick skillet over medium heat; when hot, coat with cooking spray. (If using gas stove, remove pan from burner just long enough to spray away from flame.) Add mushrooms, pepper, and onion; cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add spinach; cook until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Add egg whites; season with salt and pepper. Cook without stirring until eggs are almost set, 3 to 4 minutes. Use plastic spatula to lift edge of omelet; tilt pan so uncooked egg runs underneath. Sprinkle with cheese and avocado; cook 1 minute allow cheese to melt, then fold omelet in half and slide onto plate.
Makes 1 serving
Per serving: 230 calories, 10 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 14 g total carbohydrate, 6 g dietary fiber, 24 g protein, 396 mg sodium.