Of all the baked things I made the last month while trying out grain-free and dairy free eating, this one takes the pound cake. It was originally going to be blueberry muffins, but once I tasted that dense, moist texture of the prototype, I knew it was destined for pound cake. It WAS pound cake, and I wasn’t messing with it! A few small tweaks and a loaf pan later, here it is, in all it’s purple-dotted, aromatic gluten free glory.
The layering technique in step 4 (some batter, some berries, repeat, repeat) keeps the whole thing from turning purple if you only have frozen blueberries on hand (which I did). If you have fresh berries, you can probably just fold them into the batter and spoon it all into the bread pan. I cannot wait for people to try this one! Let me know what you think.1 cup + 2 tablespoons almond flour 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut flour 3/4 cup Splenda granulated (or sugar, or 1/4 cup agave for paleo) 1/4 teaspoon salt 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract* 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract 3 eggs 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water 1-1/2 cups blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or oil the inside of a loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine almond and coconut flour, Splenda, salt, and baking powder.Whisk to mix well and break up any lumps.
3. In a second bowl, combine lemon extract, vanilla extract, eggs, and water. Stir to blend.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until uniformly moist. Spoon 1/3 of batter into the bottom of the loaf pan. Sprinkle 1/3 of the berries on top. Repeat layers two more times.
5. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool before slicing into 8 heavenly slices.
Nutrition Facts: 164 calories, 10 g fat, 12 g carbohydrates, 5 grams fiber, 7 grams protein* Do not substitute lemon juice, they are not the same. If you don’t want to go to the store for lemon extract, and don’t have any, just leave it out. Nothin’ wrong with straight blueberry pound cake. *Special thanks to Catherine Olivares for testing out the agave version!
Hungry for more free coaching advice? How about some free recipes as well? Enter your email address below and hit Sign Me Up!