Nuts, chocolate, maybe some banana… now you’re speaking my language! If you’re feeling like some sweet indulgence this holiday season, you don’t have to deny yourself completely. You can still work in whole foods AND enjoy some delicious flavor combos.
Chocolate Banana Butter Crepes
Crepes:¾ cup egg whites
¼ cup cottage cheese (low fat, nonfat, whole, doesn’t matter)
2 tablespoons plain oatmeal
1/2 tsp vanilla
Chocolate Banana Butter: (fills 2 crepes)1-2 ripe bananas, mashed with a fork (or pureed in blender)
1 ounce dark chocolate chips
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1. In a blender, combine egg whites, cottage cheese, oats, and vanilla. Process for 20‐30 seconds, or until it forms a thin, smooth batter.
2. Spray a 10” skillet with nonstick spray, and heat over low flame for 1 minute before adding batter. Pour ¼ cup of batter into the center of pan, and tilt/rotate the pan so the batter spreads out into a thin pancake.
3. After 1‐2 minutes, peek under one edge of the crepe to see if it’s solid, and getting a bit golden. If so, it’s time to flip. Using a spatula, gently flip the crepe over so the uncooked side is down and the cooked side is up. Wait 1‐2 minutes for the other side to cook, then transfer the cooked crepe to a plate. Repeat to make 4-5 crepes, stacking the cooked ones on the plate.
4. To make the chocolate banana butter, melt the chocolate chips in a small saucepan over low heat. Turn off heat and stir in the peanut butter and mashed banana. Stir until smooth. Spread on crepes and enjoy while warm.
Chocolate Almond Butter
Thinking of making an edible gift for someone? Well if you’ve got a food processor, you can treat a very lucky person on your gift list to a jar of homemade chocolate almond butter.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F and place almonds on an ungreased cookie sheet. Roast for 10 minutes.
2. Transfer almonds to food processor, and let run for 15 minutes.
3. Melt chocolate in a saucepan over low heat and scrape into food processor. Process until blended, and add salt to taste.
4. Transfer to glass jar.
Feel like something dessert-like that’s ready in a snap? Here’s a quick fix for you.
1. Mix it all up. Savor slowly and gleefully.
If some flavorful recipes would help you enjoy your healthy eating plan more, you’ll like my free recipe ebook. Enter your email address below and hit Sign Me Up!